take the format of a very relaxed conversation, but provide fascinating insights into a range of people who are true experts in their field. Among them are lots of successful entrepreneurs and big names within the field of beauty, so anyone interested enough in the subject to be reading this column should probably tune in. Some of the most popular episodes include Founder Michelle Doherty on the role of acids in our skincare routines, leading dermatologist on how to eat your skin beautiful and bloggers on what it means to be ‘beautiful’ in the first place. Along the way Emma has picked up a LOT of beauty tips. Here are five of her favourites:
1. You absorb water best from food, so instead of beating yourself up that you haven’t managed two litres, drink a sensible amount and focus on eating plenty of watery fruit and veg – oranges, cucumber, spinach and salad, melon, peppers.
2. Don’t think of sunscreen as a shield that sits on top of skin. It needs to penetrate to work properly, so work it in, building up a few very sheer layers if that feels easier.
3. It’s easy to be seduced by all the intricate make-up looks in Instagram, but in real life it looks much more gorgeous to leave one thing blank – a voluptuous lip with no mascara, say. It’s the make-up version of Coco Chanel’s advice to always remove one accessory before you leave the house.
4. It sounds simple but if you have breakouts that won’t go away and are also appearing on your back, neck or chest, see a dermatologist straight away.
5. Keep an eye on moles with this couldn’t-be-easier acronym: ABCD – asymmetry, border (get it checked if it looks jagged); colour (if healthy, a mole is normally just one colour), diameter (is it growing?).
I found my son’s homemade facemask in our bathroom – Epsom salts mixed with water (using a rather unsalubrious spoon). I’ve told him I think it’s too harsh for his face, but in the meantime, I scooped the rest out and used it on my body and… oh, wow, my skin felt so, so soft. I’m going to be making a body scrub out of Epsom salts and body oil from now on.
Trying these tonight
Hydrating Shampoo Bar With Aloe Vera – love his stuff and am looking forward to the novelty of the bar; Crushed Lip Color in Baby and Watermelon – the colours look luscious; Waso Quick Gentle Cleanser – will this gel foam be gentle enough for my liking?
Have a beautiful weekend!